Fond of a beautiful lawn, but too lazy to think about how you can transform your own into one?
Maybe, you already know what you want, but you don’t have an idea where and how to start. Don’t worry, this guide may be useful to you!
Normally, a beautiful lawn comes with green grasses. But then, if you buy ready-made grasses, you may need to incur higher costs. The good thing is that if you plant the grass itself, you can save more money while making your lawn beautiful.
There are many choices that you can find in the market, but you should opt for nothing but the best grass seed for clay soil.
Editor’s Recommendation: Top 5 Grass Seed for Clay Soil
What to Look for Before Buying?
Here are the things that you should bear in mind before your purchase grass seed:
Type of Seed
You should first determine whether you want a certain kind of grass or a mixture of a variety of grasses. Depending upon your preference, you can find the most appropriate seed for your lawn.
In general, you have two options. The first one is a straight seed that offers only one type of grass seed. This is normally used in golf fields or if you want the grass in your lawn to be uniform.
The second kind is the mixture that includes different grass seeds. This usually offers various features, such as insect-resistant, drought-resistant, durability, and more.
You can’t deny it, but it is common to worry about how much the grass in your lawn can withstand the traffic. This is very important, especially if you have kids and pets at home. That is why in choosing one, you should consider this factor so that the grass can bear traffic, and your family won’t be restricted from moving around.
Full Sun vs Partial Shade
Not all seeds can bear the full sun. That is why before you buy seeds, you should check whether it is suited for full sun or merely for shades. Anyway, some products are compatible with both, that is why you should opt for this kind, so you won’t have to worry if the area is sunny or shady.
This is an important feature, especially if you are meticulous about the softness and roughness of the grass. Depending upon your preference, you can choose one that can result in soft and thin grass or maybe coarse enough to bear traffic.
Most products are mixtures of grass seed as well as weed. It may be fine to have around 0.5 percent of weed mixed in the grass seed, but it is a good idea to choose one without added additives. This is because 100 percent of pure seeds grow better than mixed.
5 Best Grass Seed for Clay Soil Reviews
If you want to make your lawn beautiful but you have no idea what to choose, this guide is a great idea. Here is the list of some that you can buy for your lawn:
1. Zenith Zoysia Grass Seed 100% Pure Seed
- If all danger of frost is past and your soil...
- Zenith makes a very dense, dark green,...
- Shade tolerant; widely adaptable to full sun...
- In warm soil (60° or higher) Zenith seed...
- Each 2lb. bag will cover up to 2,000 square...
If you are planning to place grass in a place with partial shade, this grass seed is an excellent choice. Well, anyway, it can bear full sun too, so it is flexible enough to fit in any condition.
It works well in hot climates. The more warm the soil is, the faster is the germination rate. In just a maximum of 14 days, you can see results, especially when you plant the seeds at the end of Spring. You also don’t have to worry if your pets or children step over the planted seeds as they are resistant to traffic.
These seeds are maintenance-free too. Well, all you need to do is to add some fertilizer and water to ensure healthy growth. Each 2 pounds bag can cover a wide area of 2000 square feet. The seeds have no mulch, which means that they are 100 percent pure.
Its end result is outstanding, thereby resulting in a dense dark green lawn. This can even tolerate extreme heat, drought, and cold. It can tolerate shades too. Whether it is full sun or light shade, the seed is highly adaptable to changes.
- 100 percent pure seed thus higher germination rate
- Can grow as fast as 24 days
- Tolerable to extreme weather conditions
- Minimum care is required
- Can cover up to 2000 square feet
- Only ideal for the Spring season
2. Scotts EZ Seed Dog Spot Repair Sun and Shade
- Combination mulch, seed, and soil amendment...
- Mulch: Absorbs 6x its weight in water and...
- Grass Seed: Scotts best high performance...
- Soil Amendment: Special salt neutralizer that...
- Includes a tackifier that helps keep seed...
With its very own WaterSmart PLUS coating patent, you will be ensured that the seeds are great not only in absorbing water but also in keeping away harmful diseases.
Depending on the level of proper care, you will be guaranteed with a beautiful lawn by replacing a grass that was destroyed by your pet. It combines seed, mulch, and soil – making it a good choice if you need to grow grass anywhere.
The mulch is capable of absorbing water six times its weight, so when it expands, it provides the seed with the optimum protective layer. These high-performance seeds are covered with protectants so they will be safe from diseases that can be harmful to newly planted areas.
It comes with a special salt neutralizer that is useful for burned lawns due to dog urines. Furthermore, the tackifier allows the seeds to be intact so they will not be easily washed away.
- Combines seed, mulch, and soil
- Mulch can absorb water 6 times its weight
- The seed comes with a protective layer
- Made of a unique salt neutralizer
- Includes a tackifier
- Not made of pure seeds
3. Scotts MossEX
- Scotts MossEx kills moss, not lawns and helps...
- Best applied during winter or spring when the...
- This moss control product also contains...
- Apply using a Scotts broadcast, rotary, drop,...
- Treats up to 5,000 sq. ft.
If you want to treat bare spots in your backyard or grow turf in your garden, this grass seed is a good idea, especially for areas up to 5000 square feet.
This is specially formulated to kill moss while it helps grow green and thick grass. Not to mention, it can be used in different kinds of grass and lawns, making it flexible enough to suit your garden needs. All you have to do is to use a spreader, especially during Spring or Winter times, when moss grows actively.
The Scotts MossEX can give off nutrients to your lawn. It is comprised of added nutrients that can green and strengthen the grass. You will certainly see the difference before and after when you start to apply this in just a few weeks. Furthermore, it is easy to apply, so using this will not be a hassle.
Anyway, Scotts has its own MyLawn app that can be used to ascertain the coverage amount of the product. After this, you can place it in the spreader, set, and apply. It is suggested to use it in a moist lawn as well as when you already mowed tall grass.
- Different spreaders can be used
- Provides nutrients to give a green color of the lawn
- Effective in killing moss
- Can be applied to areas up to 5000 square feet
- Easy to apply
- Ideal only during Sprint or Winter
4. Jonathan Green 10323 Black Beauty Ultra Mixture
- Has an invisible waxy coating which wards off...
- Possesses species diversity, contains Black...
- Grows well in clay or sandy soils and in full...
- Contains naturally insect resistant grass
- Cover up to 10,000 sq. ft.
This ultimate mixture is a good idea if you want to begin a new lawn or merely cover bare areas. It is ideal for lawns that are damaged due to Summer or ravaged due to insects.
The seeds are made of waxy coating that helps in preventing diseases as well as preserving the moisture of the leaf. So, even during the extreme temperatures of Summer, you will be assured of green leafy grass as it has drought tolerance.
Anyway, this comes with species diversity, including elite Kentucky Bluegrass, Black Beauty Tall Fescues, and elite Perennial Ryegrass that allows it to produce a dark-green color. Plus, it is ideal in sandy and clay soils, whether the area experiences a partial shade or full sun.
The roots can grow up to 4 feet deep, and the mixture itself can cover up to 10000 square feet. Having this plant in your lawn is definitely a great idea!
- Contains waxy coating that wards off diseases and preserves moisture
- Can grow up to 4 feet deep
- Can cover up to 10000 square feet
- A mixture of grass varieties
- Quite expensive
5. GreenView 2829336 Fairway Formula Grass Seed
- For use in both sun and shade areas of the...
- Fast seed germination in 7-10 days for...
- Enhanced seed variety for heat, drought, and...
- Mixture of top-rated, premium quality seed...
- Uncoated seeds ensure maximum seed coverage;...
This all-purpose seed is a mixture of Kentucky Bluegrass, Perennial Ryegrass, and fescues. It can grow anywhere in your yard in full sun or partial shade. Because the seeds are uncoated, you will be assured of optimum coverage. It does not have any fillers, and it is 99.9 percent weed-free.
With proper care techniques, such as by exposing it to the sun for a maximum of 8 hours a day and watering daily, this can stand the test of time. You can also pair this with mulch and starter fertilizer to keep the moisture even during germination. Anyway, the germination process takes only a minimum of one week.
Furthermore, the variety of seeds can resist drought, heat, and insects. This pack can cover 750 square feet for a new lawn and even up to 1500 square feet for cover-ups.
- Can cover up to 1500 square feet
- A mixture of a variety of grass
- Resistant to insect, heat, and drought
- High-maintenance when it comes to water supply
Frequently Asked Questions
- Will ornamental grasses grow in clay soil?
Yes. Ornamental grasses like feather reed grass can grow in clay soil as well as in cold Winters. In fact, ornamental grasses are not choosy about soil conditions, whether poor or fertile soil.
- How can I improve my clay soil?
There are many ways on how you can improve clay soil. The first is to identify the pH of the soil. Next, you can add organic matter. Then, you should create raised beds to establish drainage.
During the Winter, you should mulch beds like, for instance, by planting a cover crop. This process may take time, but the clay soil will eventually be improved.
- What will break down clay soil?
The process of breaking down clay soil may require a longer period. But you can add a layer or two of grid sand to break up even the heaviest clay soil. This shall be done before you dig the entire lot and spread the organic matter.
- Does adding sand to clay soil help?
Yes. It is one of the most common substances that is added to clay soil, aside from composted manure, gypsum, compost, and other coarse organic materials.
- How long does it take for gypsum to break down clay soil?
It takes several months for it to break down the soil and get the full effect.
If you want to add beauty to your lawn, you should only choose the best grass seed for clay soil. Hopefully, after you have gone through the pages, you already know the features that you should look for before buying one as well as the brand that suits your lawn the best!