One of the most valuable additions to any toolbox is a set of step drill bits or unibits. If you want to drill through a surface, these tools are necessary, especially because they work well on sheet metals and plastics. Having the right tool will only need a small amount of pressure to accomplish your work.
Since these tools have tips that are grounded with different diameters, they are a perfect idea for holes with the same. Perhaps, what makes it popular among other types of bits is its feature of one-step drilling.
In this article, you will find out some of the best step drill bits that you may want to consider for drilling multiple sized holes at a faster and more efficient way.
Editor’s Recommendation: Top 5 Step Drill Bit
Things to Consider Before Buying
Well, every homeowner can relate why a set of step drill bits is essential in their tool kit collection. Not only are these tools useful, but they are also versatile enough to use in a wide array of projects at home.
It’s now time for us to know some of the things that you should consider before you get quality while ensuring practicality!
The materials you are working with must be considered before you buy a step drill bit set. Since they are shorter in length compared to the standard twist drill bits, they are more appropriate for materials such as metal, wood, and acrylic.
Here are some of the materials a step drill bit can be made of:
- Steel bitsare low-priced and good for softwoods.
- High-speed steel bitsare harder and tougher, thus ensures higher durability than steel bits.
- Titanium coated bitsare more expensive than high-speed steel but are likely to stay sharper longer.
- Carbide tippedis more expensive than the previous bits but more durable
- Cobalt bitsare ideal for metals. They are extremely hard and great for applications with heat buildup.
Choosing a step drill bit from a well-known manufacturer means that if anything is damaged, you can have someone to be accountable for. Even if you really can’t get a warranty, at least, you will know what to buy in the end.
Well established brands provide good after-sales treatment and items built for a particular item specification.
The ones made of high-speed steel with titanium coating are of proven durability than other drill bit sets. Consequently, it has a longer life span and will surely endure multiple uses. Since they are of excellent quality, you will be ensured that your finished work will also result in the same.
Value for Money
You have to make mindful decisions on the things you spend your money on. After considering the project you’ll be working at or the type of materials, you also have to be ready with a particular amount of money you’re sure you can part with to buy these tools.
After considering durability, if you can have a high-quality tool at an affordable price, then go for that one.
5 Best Step Drill Bit Reviews
The way a step drill bit works to cut through hard materials is brilliant. If you’re looking for the best tool for yourself, you’re on the right guide, for we did some rigorous research about them.
1. Neiko 10189A Titanium Step Drill Bit
- TITANIUM BIT: Includes a two-flute design for...
- CUTS AND DEBURRS: Cuts through steel, sheet...
- SUPER STRONG: This all-in-one step drill bit...
- MULTIPLE DRILL SIZES WITH ONE BIT: 7/16",...
- VERSATILE AND FAST: With this handy bit, you...
With various step sizes and heavy-durable construction, this tool may be a good idea for enlarging holes through hard surfaces.
This drill bit has a total of 12 sizes for drilling holes with 7/16 inch, ½ inch, 9/16 inch, 5/8 inch, and 11/16 inch diameters, just to name a few. It is made of high-speed steel and weighs 4.8 ounces. This only means that they are tougher and harder without being too heavy, giving you more comfort when using it.
Being coated with titanium nitride makes it even more durable. This also enhances the surface of the bit. It cuts with just a slight amount of pressure into steel, sheet metal, and other surfaces. This product will definitely help you get your job done with ease. But make sure that you follow proper drilling guidelines!
- Comes with 12 Step Sizes
- Heavy-duty, durable construction and finish
- Made of high-speed steel
- Ensures versatility
- Doesn’t come with instructions
- Use of lubricant is recommended
2. CO-Z 5pcs HSS Cobalt Multiple Hole 50 Sizes Step Drill Bit Set
- Cobalt high speed steel along with the...
- Different sized shanks ensure compatibility...
- Non-walking drill tip provides fast and...
- Please mark the spot that you are to drill...
- All the bits come in a well-organized case...
If you are looking for a tool that can drill holes of different sizes, this may be a good idea. What makes it different from the others? You don’t need to change the bits!
Being made of cobalt high-speed steel and coated with titanium alloy allow for extreme durability. It comes with an organized and impressive aluminum case, so you are ensured that this tool will remain compact and handy. More excitingly, the tool is compatible with ¼ inch, 3/8 inch, and ½ inch chuck sizes.
Anyway, the dark bronze color bits add to its aesthetics. Weighing only 1.1 pounds, this tool comes in handy. Having rounder drills facilitate smoother hole drilling. Not to mention, this can avoid metal scurf from flying around so as to ensure safety.
With its excellent quality, you can expect a wonderful finish, especially if you cut holes in materials made of metal. Furthermore, the laser-engraved reference marks make this set accurate and very convenient to use.
That is why if you’re looking for a step drill bit set with impressive drilling features, this item may be good for you!
- Comes in an organized aluminum case
- Very durable
- High-quality materials
- Easy to install
- Not recommended for mild steel
- May require a good cutting oil
3. Neiko 10193A Titanium Step Drill Bit Set
- TITANIUM | HIGH SPEED STEEL: classic high...
- 135° SPLIT POINT TIP: increases cutting...
- TWO-FLUTE DESIGN: clears chips faster and...
- TRI-FLATTED SHANK: fits into power tools...
- SET INCLUDES: Bit #1 (6 steps): 3/16", 1/4",...
This is a 3-piece step drill bit set that is made of high-speed steel and is titanium-coated, thereby ensuring improved durability.
Weighing only 4 ounces, the bits are lightweight without compromising their functionality. It has a two-flute design to warrant a faster cutting and cleaner drilling. The sizes are easily identifiable as they are engraved. No doubt that this set may be an ideal replacement for 28 different sizes of bits.
Aside from its universal design, one great feature about the bits is its split point tip that is set at 135 degrees, thereby permitting cutting at a faster pace. Moreover, this set can be used for a handful of times on different materials, from plastic to sheet metal, just name it!
Anyway, there is no doubt about its flexibility, given its durability and capability.
- Made of a high-speed steel
- Ensures durability and functionality
- Works well on various materials
- Allows for accurate drilling
- Not recommended for serious metalwork
- May require cutting oil
4. HYCLAT 5pcs Titanium Step Drill Bit
- FEATURES: 5pcs step drill bits enable 50...
- TITANIUM HIGH-SPEED STEEL: classic and sturdy...
- DOUBLE CUTTING BLADES & THREE-SIDED SHANK -...
- WIDELY APPLICATION: The step drill bits can...
- WHAT YOU GET - HYCLAT Step Drill, Aluminum...
You no longer have to swap drill bits with different bore sizes regularly because this tool includes everything that you may need.
Yes, this set comes with 5 pieces of bits that are flexible enough to fit 50 sizes. The bit is heavier compared to others on the list with a weight of 14.4 ounces. This may be due to its construction, being made of classic and durable high-speed steel with titanium coating. Well, it is proven for its capacity and durability.
The bits may be used for chamfering, burling, drilling, and amplifying holes. It works well with sheets of stainless steel, aluminum alloy, plastics, and woods. Much more, it comes with a safety case made of aluminum, so the bits won’t easily get dull.
Having a lighter canvas wrapping will definitely make it easier for you to carry the tool almost anywhere! No doubt that this product is a great deal, especially for its price.
Anyway, this tool can work well with a hand drill or drill press. And it can drill well on hard surfaces and heavy stuff. If you want to prevent this from overheating, you can use cutting oil.
- Ensures versatility
- Durable enough to withstand different surfaces
- Comes with a wide range of sizes
- Equipped with double cutting blades and three-sided shank
- The aluminum case is included
- May require the use of lubricant
- Quite expensive
5. Neiko 10197A Titanium Step Drill Bit Set
- Classic high speed steel with titanium...
- 135° split point and two flute design...
- Tri flatted shank fits into power tools chuck...
- Set includes a sturdy blow molded organizing...
- Set includes: Drill Bit #1 (10 step sizes):...
If you are looking for a set that has several inclusions without compromising the quality and usability, this product may be a good choice.
With 5 pieces of step drill bits that can cater to 50 different sizes, you can have the flexibility to accomplish several works. Each tool is laser-engraved for easy employment and identification. With a product dimension of 10 x 6 x 1 inch and weighing 1.4 pounds, the bits come in handy.
The set has a tri-flatted shank design and includes a sturdy case for easy storage and organization. Its split point tip is at 135 degrees that allow for increased cutting speed. Each spiral-formed bit ensures quality and sharpness. Not to mention, it is a great deal for its price.
Furthermore, this can be used as a bit extender to get into harder areas. Also, this can be compared to high-end step drill bits. Whether or not you’re an electrician, this tool can be used at work and household at the same time.
- Ensures durability
- High-quality bits
- Comes with a sturdy case
- Great value for the price
- Can be compared to high-end bits
- May require cutting oil
Frequently Asked Questions
- What is the hardest drill bit?
Perhaps, the most brittle and hardest drill bit that you can find in the market is the one made of tungsten carbide, which is much stronger steel. Although it is more expensive compared to other types of construction, this kind can be used for hard drilling.
Plus, it is heat-resistant, so you won’t have to worry about exposing it to extreme conditions. Anyway, this is mainly used for production drilling and works that require a high tool holder and equipment. Also, it is widely used by automotive industries.
- What is a step-down drill bit?
A step-down drill bit is similar to a standard bit that can be used to make holes and enlarge existing ones. Usually used on thin materials, these bits are available individually or in sets, which may include step bits of various sizes.
- What are the best drill bits for hardened steel?
Drill bits that are made of cobalt steel are perfect for hardened steel due to their robust cutting edges. They are usually designed for heavy-duty tasks such as drilling hard metals.
- Is cobalt or titanium drill bits better?
If you’re looking for drill bits that can be used on metal projects, cobalt or titanium drill bits are a perfect choice. This is because metal projects may require durable drill bits. Since both cobalt and titanium drill bits are made of steel and are considered durable, they work with various types of materials.
- Are cobalt drill bits better than HSS?
The type of drill bits you need will depend on the type of material you are going to drill. For tough materials such as hardened and stainless steel, cobalt drill bits are ideal. On the other hand, plastic, wood, and mild steel materials will need HSS drill bits.
You will need the best step drill bit, whether in widening the hole of your washer, drilling a hole for your soap dispenser, or if you want to drill on sheet metal plates accurately. Hopefully, after you have gone through the pages, you already have one in mind!