Driving in the rain can be very hazardous if your vision is impaired. It can be very frustrating when your car’s wipers cannot keep up with rainfall to give you 20-20 vision. There may be times when your wipers are not enough to keep your view clear from rain. This is where water repellents come into play.
Windshield water repellents improve the capability of a driver to have a perfect view ahead during harsh weather conditions. It is important to keep your windshield clean if you want to protect your loved ones.
Editor’s Recommendation: Top 5 Windshield Water Repellent
5 Best Windshield Water Repellents
When deciding on a product to buy, look no more. Keeping your best interests in mind, we have conducted thorough research to bring you the current market favorites.
1. Aquapel Glass Treatment by PGW Water Repellents
Aquapel is one of our top picks when it comes to repelling rainwater. The best value choice is the one that comes in a pack of six. Using this product will not only repel rain but will also protect your windshield from unwanted scratches and scuffs from faulty wipers.
This product is very easy to apply to any windshield and is usually completed within 10 to 15 minutes. Before applying the coating, make sure your windshield is clear of any dust. When the surface is dry, apply the gel onto your windshield and uses a paper towel to evenly spread it all over. Polish thoroughly for the best results.
- Easy to apply
- Does not harm your car’s paint and windshield rubber seams
- Usually enough for three cars
- Comes in tubes of six
- Non –sticky formula
- Sensitive to sunlight
- Cannot be applied in temperatures above 60°c
2. Rain-X Windshield Water Repellents
- Fast and easy to use - just spray on and wipe...
- Cleans automotive glass streak-free
- Repels rain by causing water to bead up and...
- Helps prevent and remove sleet, snow, ice,...
Rain X is a great choice when it comes to people who are buying water repellents for the first time. This 2 in 1 solution not only helps repel rain but also works as a great glass cleaner. Its affordable price makes it a crowd favorite as it costs much lower than any other professional treatment.
The application of this product is very straight forward. All you need to do is spray the solution on the glass and wipe off with a paper towel. While normal glass cleaners leave behind swirls and streaks, this product has proven to eliminate these, leaving behind a factory fresh windshield.
- Easy spray method simplifies application
- Causes rainwater to bead up and roll right off
- Multifunctional — can also be used to clean dirty headlights
- Uses a hydrophobic technology to offer a crystal clear view
- Removes light streaks and scratches
- Usage in humid conditions tends to fog up your windshield
- Improper application may lead to night time vision impairment
- Frequent re-applications required
3. Hendlex Glass Pro Windshield Water Repellents
- Up to 9 months protection. Instead of using...
- Also perfect for motorcycle helmet visors or...
- Higher safety on the road. Remove the need of...
- "Easy to clean effect” properties.
- Coating is completely invisible. Does not...
This product has a solution that uses Nanoparticles that work better than its other silicone-based counterparts. The Nanoparticles used in Hendlex Glass Pro sticks to the surface of your windshield and ensures that the coasting is long-lasting. This technology also resists tougher environmental conditions like snow.
Before applying this product, you have to make sure that the surface of your windshield is dry and grease-free. Apply the solution onto the surface with a cotton cloth for about a minute. The coating must not dry up before polishing. This product will give you the best result in temperatures between 41°F to 86°F.
- Eliminates the use of wipers above 40 mph
- The invisible coating does not change color over time
- Nanotechnology is far more superior than the competitors
- Reduces windshield aging
- Next gen technology lasts longer
- Packaging has no drip control
- Very easy to spill or over apply
- Hard to remove if applied incorrectly
4. Gtechniq G1 Windshield Water Repellents
Gtechniq G1 is by far the best value product overall. This is a smart choice if you want a product that does not have to be reapplied often as it usually lasts the longest of all sealants. The product also uses a nanotechnology-based coating and is rated to last for around 30,000 miles of use.
This product has an ace up its sleeve, longevity. Applying it once will last at least two years of tension-free driving. It not only repels water but also protects your windshield from dirt and frost in areas with cold climates. However, its application can be problematic if instructions are not followed.
- Long-lasting rated up to 30,000 miles of driving
- Works against rain, dirt, frost or ice
- Reduces wiper usage above 40 mph
- Removes scratches
- Does not harm car’s paint
- Difficult for first-time users to master the application
- One bottle is not enough to cover all windows
- Leaves behind streaks if applied incorrectly
- Most expensive of the bunch
5. Trico Aquapel Windshield Water Repellents
The Trico Aquapel is an ammonia-free spray that you can use to remove your windshield of dirt and lint. It can be applied to fiberglass, laminates, and other nonporous surfaces. The application process is also extremely simple. Just spray, let it foam, and simply wipe off!
This product is merely a glass cleaner, which helps prepare your windshield for the application of Aquapel Glass treatment by PGW. The repellent has to be bought separately.
However, the beauty of this product is that it not only cleans windshields but can be used to clean any other glass surfaces such as TV screens, mirrors, etc.
- Product is ammonia-free
- Does not leave any film or scuffs on your windshield
- Easy to apply
- Leaves behind a fresh and clean fragrance
- This is not a water repellent product
- Water repellents need to be purchased separately
- Leaves streaks
What to Look for in a Windshield Water Repellent?
Before purchasing a water repellent, you can look out for the following features in the product so that your purpose is best served.
If you live in an area where there is regular heavy rainfall, you should not only rely on your wipers for clearing your vision. There may be times when your wiper will not be enough to keep your windshield clean.
Look for products that will bead up water and make it slide off the side of your windshield. This will make your wipers more effective and reduce long term damage of prolonged wiper usage.
Level of Scratch Resistance
Keep an eye out for products that provide the most protection for your windshield. Choosing a product that creates a perfect barrier between a windshield and the dirt elements will ensure that you will be able to retain perfect visibility as your car ages.
Another point to note is that frequently cleaning/changing your wiper blades will also benefit you in the long run.
Ease of Application
When choosing a water repellent, keep a lookout for products that have a straightforward method of application. Silicone-based formulas are the easiest to use. They come in spray-on bottles, which are simple enough for the average Joe to work with.
Nano based formulas are the hardest to apply as there are a lot of variables to consider before applying. You must always keep a clean surface and account for the humidity and temperature of the area you reside in.
Frequency of Re-Application
There are many products available in the market that claim to give you flawless vision through your windshield, but not all of them will last for the same amount of time. Products with a silicone base usually tend to last the least amount of time. They are generally cheaper to buy.
On the other hand, Nanotechnology-based formulas are the real deal. They may be more expensive, but they last longer – at least up to 2 years, making them the more economical choice.
Frequently Asked Questions
- How can I prepare my windshield before applying the water repellent?
Try to apply the water repellent coating during a day of good weather. Make sure it is not too sunny or too humid; otherwise, the formula may not work as intended.
Before applying the product, clean the surface of your windshield to remove any form of dust or lint. Follow the guidelines provided and make sure to give enough time for the coating to settle.
- Will, the age of my windshield, affects the treatment process?
The optimal surface to apply a repellent will be one with no scratches or cracks. Usually, the age of a windshield does not matter as long as it is in good shape. If you apply a coating on a damaged windshield, it will not only be ineffective, but it may also lead to a further depreciation of the windshield’s lifespan.
- What type of repellent should I choose, pre-mixed, or concentrated?
A concentrated formula is one that is usually very complex to apply. They are long-lasting and have to be applied according to the instructions provided; otherwise, you may end up getting adverse results.
On the other hand, pre-mixed formulas are very straightforward, as you have to simply spray and polish. These have to be reapplied frequently.
- How long can I store a Water Repellent?
A water repellent usually has a shelf life of around two years. Try buying the latest stock when choosing to treat your windshield. Temperatures can also degrade the product quicker than the expiry date, so it is always risk-free if you buy a product that still has at least a year until it expires.
- What cloth should I use to clean my windshield?
A paper towel is the best option to clean and apply water repellent formulas. Manufacturers provide you with a microfiber cloth, which is usually superior to any other cloth you have lying around your house or garage.
When using a cheap microfiber cloth, the formula may get smeared all over the windshield, making a complete mess.
These are 5 of the best windshield wiper repellents available in the market today. Choosing any one of these should best serve you your purpose, giving you the best visibility and reducing your risk of a fatality.
Road safety is something that you should not take lightly. It is imperative that you choose a product that will best serve your purpose. I would suggest purchasing one between the higher price ranges as they will guarantee the best result.